Fillmore woman killed in propane blast
By Gazette Staff Writer — Wednesday, September 18th, 2013
A Fillmore Woman died Monday from a hand-held propane bottle explosion during a family barbecue Sunday evening in the 1000 block of Candaleria.
Astrid Marmont, 41, and her husband Lindsey were barbecuing Sunday evening when a head-held propane torch was used to light a charcoal barbecue. The small propane canister was set on a shelf that was attached to the barbecue. Authorities believe the canister heated up and exploded.
“The gas inside the bottle expanded once it was heated and presumably caused the explosion,” stated Fillmore Fire Chief Rigo Landeros.
Marmont succumbed to extensive neck injuries from shrapnel from the explosion.
Lindsey suffered critical injuries to his arm which required nearly five hours of surgery. He is expected to survive.